Both drivers and manufacturers of EVs agree that charging infrastructure isn’t adequately developed. Due to the lack of the charging points/stations and lower range, EVs currently can’t compete with the convenience provided by their fossil fuel counterparts. As a result, many drivers are discouraged from buying an electric or even plug-in hybrid vehicle. The Electric Vehicle Collaborative Center for Research and Learning has therefore joined the initiative of other EV Collaboratives that promotes workplace charging as a way to ease the lack of charging points/stations and make driving an EV more attractive and convenient.
Benefits of Workplace Charging for Employers
Like its name suggests, workplace charging enables EV drivers to charge their vehicles while at work. But only if made possible by their employers. Since installing and maintaining charging stations as well as providing electricity either for free or small fee means additional costs for employers, these are obviously wondering, what’s in it for them? Believe it or not but workplace charging offers a number of benefits for employers. The top 3 include:
- Save money. Companies with own vehicles can save a lot of money by switching to EVs which, obviously, need to be charged somewhere on company grounds.
- Improve public image and reputation. A growing number of consumers give an advantage to environmentally responsible companies over their not-so-environmentally friendly counterparts.
- Attract and retain the best employees. Workplace charging can dramatically reduce employees’ transportation costs, leaving them with more money to spend on other things.
Benefits of Workplace Charging for Employees
In addition to saving employees’ money on transportation, workplace charging also offers other benefits including:
- Greater range. Workplace charging can double the range of an EV which is especially important for employees with long commutes.
- Peace of mind. It feels good to know that you won’t run out of charge.
- More flexibility. More charge means more miles which in turn means more flexibility.
Benefits of Workplace Charging for the Community/Environment
Workplace charging isn’t only good for employers and their employees but for the nearby communities as well. More EVs means less noise pollution and emissions which in turn means a cleaner and healthier environment. Also, EVs emit less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases which means that their environmental effects exceed the local benefits. Though the electricity on which they run comes from a range of sources including fossil fuels, EVs and even hybrids play a very important role in the fight against the global climate change.